Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Another Visit to the ER

Dear Connor,

Back in March, I wrote you that letter about our trip to the emergency room. I wrote that I never wanted to go back to the emergency room with you ever again. But the emergency room was exactly where we were this past Saturday. While we were visiting Uncle Ray, Aunt Sylvia and their new baby daughter (with whom you were completely smitten, by the way!), you thought it would be fun to jump on their couch and then hurl your whole body backward. You thought you were just going to flop back onto the fluffy couch cushions but you ended up hitting your head on the edge of the air conditioning vent. You immediately started crying so I pulled you into my lap to comfort you and you gradually stopped crying. You even started playing around again. But then Daddy noticed the bump on the back of your head and when he parted your hair to inspect it, we both saw something that made our hearts stop: blood.

You bump your head all the time. All the time. But you'd never bumped it so badly that you started bleeding. Daddy and Uncle Ray carefully cleaned your wound and said it didn't seem serious but I was freaking out because:

a) there was blood
b) I tend to freak out around blood
c) I'm your mom and will freak out every time you get hurt, blood or no blood

So Daddy and I rushed you to the emergency room where a doctor examined you right away and said exactly what Daddy and Uncle Ray had said: Your wound wasn't serious. Even though there was blood, there wasn't a laceration and you didn't need stitches. The doctor just cleaned off the rest of the blood, applied some antibiotic cream and sent us on our way. It was all over faster than I could ask, "Are you sure he doesn't need an X-ray?"

So . . . whew! You were actually pretty oblivious to your injury the whole night, so I guess it really wasn't that bad. You had cried for about a minute after you first hit your head but after that, you were laughing, running and goofing off like your usual self the rest of the evening. However, I was--and still am--pretty shaken, which was not helped by the fact that you hurt your head again yesterday. Daddy was sitting at the dining table and you were running toward him when you tripped, fell and hit your head on the corner of a dining table chair leg. There was thankfully no blood this time but you do have a big red scar on your forehead now. 

And I'm going online to order you a helmet right this second.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment