Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mr. Personality

Dear Connor,

How much does a person's personality change over a lifetime? If you're an active toddler who loves to run and jump, will you be into sports when you're in high school? PoiPoi says I was a shy, quiet, well-behaved little kid and now that I'm 30, I'm still pretty shy, quiet and well-behaved (no speeding tickets or arrests on my record, thankyouverymuch!). What are you going to be like when you get older? We have no way of knowing but here are some of your main personality traits now: 

-Playful: You love to smile, laugh, play and goof around. You love getting tickled and crack up whenever I make silly faces and funny sounds. One of your favorite games is covering your face, saying "uh-oh" and smiling slyly when I realize that you've "disappeared." I call out, "Connor! Where did Connor go? Has anyone seen Connor?" and you uncover your face and laugh when I look surprised and say, "There you are!"


-Funny: You still make me laugh with your hilarious Connor-isms. For example, I am trying to teach you how to say your name but when I ask you what your name is, you point to your chest and say, "Me!" Also, when I say it's time to go to sleep, you fake snore and say, "Gaaaw chee, gaaaw chee."

-Affectionate: You love to hug and kiss me and Daddy, your friends, your friends' parents and your stuffed animals. When you want a hug, you hold your arms out toward someone and say, "Hug!" There have been a few times, though, that you've reached out toward someone and when he/she goes to hug you, you suddenly change your mind and turn away. That's just cold, dude. 

 <--- Going in for a kiss

-Empathetic: If you hear another kid crying, you immediately stop what you're doing, look at the distraught kid and get upset, too. You start whimpering and fake crying, I guess because you are feeling the other kid's pain. We were in Barnes & Noble the other day and when you heard a baby crying, you ran through all of the aisles until you found her. It's really sweet that you care so much about others and your empathy is a trait I hope you'll always have.

-Super Smart: You know how to say a few dozen words but you can identify more than a hundred objects when I ask you to point them out in your books. You know most of your numbers, shapes, foods, animals, vehicles and--most importantly--your Sesame Street characters. 

-Elmo Lover: Speaking of Sesame Street characters, you LOVE Elmo. When you were a newborn, Daddy and I could always get you to stop crying if we sang, "Elmo's Song." It was like a magic switch that instantly calmed you down. "Elmo" was also one of your first words and I recently bought you an Elmo music CD that you now want to listen to ALL OF THE TIME. We seriously listen to the entire CD at least three times a day and you always request it by running over to our stereo and chanting, "Elmo! Elmo! Elmo! Elmo! Elmo!" It's gotten to the point where I have to tell you that Elmo is sleeping and will sing for you later (the first of what I assume will be many white lies I am going to tell you over the years). 

-A Little Lazy: You can hold your own bottle when you drink your milk. You can climb up the stairs and walk down them, too, when I hold your hand. But you often insist that I hold your bottle for you and carry you up and down the stairs. Sorry, buddy. You're not a baby anymore!

-Physically Fearless: You can now climb onto the couch, rocking chair and dining table chairs with complete ease. But it doesn't stop there. Having mastered those domains, you have started climbing onto the top of the couch, the armrests of the rocking chair and from the dining table chairs to the actual dining table when I am not looking. You can imagine how many heart attacks I have now.

 <--- My little daredevil

-Peanut Butter-Averse: Peanut butter is one of the best foods ever. It is perfect on cinnamon raisin toast, in cookies, as frosting for a chocolate cake and straight out of the jar. I don't know anyone who doesn't like peanut butter. Except you. I've fed it to you a few times and you always reject it. I hope that changes. Sad is a childhood with no peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

-Total Mama's Boy: Mommy is still your #1. Your face lights up like a Christmas tree when you see me and when you're scared or have a booboo, it is me you always run to for hugs and kisses. And when someone else hugs me, you get really upset, turn red, start screaming and try to push the other person away. Then you jump into my lap and hold me super tight. A bit possessive, are we?

So far, you are turning out to be an amazing little man. We'll work on the peanut butter thing.


Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment