Friday, July 18, 2014

The Honest Truth

Dear Connor,

One of my favorite things about little kids is how honest you all are. Adults lie all of the time, out of courtesy, self-protection or a plethora of other reasons. Little kids say exactly what they are thinking when they are thinking it and that kind of frankness is really refreshing. Like when you say you like my dress, I know you actually really do like my dress and aren't just telling me that to be polite. Or when you're upset about something, you tell me that you're upset instead of pretending that you're not and that everything is okay. It's freeing to not have to second-guess what you say, which you have to do with grown-ups sometimes.

But of course, honesty is not always the best policy, which is kind of a tricky lesson to teach. Up until now, I have always stressed to you how important it is to be truthful, to not lie and make up stories that could hurt other people. But then today, I had to tell you that sometimes being truthful is what could hurt other people. Like when you went up to a very obese woman at the playground this afternoon, looked at her larger-than-average midsection and told her straight out, "Your stomach is very big." Oh. my. GOD. 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment