Monday, March 5, 2012

Medicine Woman

Dear Connor,

Even though you received the steroid injection, you were still having some trouble breathing and you developed a fever so your pediatrician put you on an aggressive course of antibiotics yesterday. And I mean aggressive--you have to receive not one, not two but THREE different kinds of medication every day for five days. You have to take the first one three times a day, the second one twice a day and the third one once a day so yeah, you have to take medicine six times a day. You do not enjoy this. At all. When you see Daddy or me pick up the medicine dropper, you whimper and try to run away. 

Of course, I don't blame you. I'm pretty sure the medicine tastes pretty awful, especially when I see how much you kick and scream when we try to squirt it in your mouth. But you have to take it so when it's time to give it to you, I hold your arms and legs down while Daddy keeps your head still and shoves the dropper in your mouth. I am SO sorry. I know you probably won't believe me, but it hurts me just as much as it hurts you. If I could take the medicine for you and spare you the anguish, I would. Please don't hate me. 

It's hard enough giving you the medicine when Daddy and I double team you. While Daddy was at work today, I had to give you the medicine by myself. The first few attempts didn't go so well. I don't have enough hands to hold your head still, pry your mouth open, stick the dropper in and keep your hands and legs away so I got more medicine on your cheek, in your hair and on the floor than in your mouth (and oh my god, you managed to kick me really hard in the face). So I developed a new system. I lay you down on the couch and straddle you, using my legs to pin your arms to your sides. I can then squeeze your cheeks with one hand to open your mouth and squirt the medicine in with the other. I feel uncomfortable and incredibly inappropriate sitting on top of you like that but it works.

Again, please don't hate me.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment