Thursday, October 13, 2011

Separation Anxiety

Dear Connor,

You have always had pretty bad separation anxiety. I wonder if it's because you had to stay in the NICU for the first two weeks of your life? Instead of being with you 24/7 like we wanted, Mommy and Daddy had to leave you in the hospital at the end of each day. Granted, you were often sound asleep when we left but maybe you knew on some level that we were leaving and that's why you hate to see us go away now, even if it's just to another room in our house. And you have always been incredibly attached to me in particular. I usually enjoy this (especially since you'll probably want nothing to do with me once you hit those wonderful teen years) but sometimes I don't (like this past weekend, when I was out but had to race home when GongGong called me and said you'd been crying for me for more than an hour). 

I hate making you feel scared and abandoned, and your cries break my heart. And I'm really nervous about next week--I am going on a little vacation with Aunties Yuan and Emily and will be gone for four days and three nights. I've never been apart from you for one full day much less four, so I don't know how you're going to handle it (or how Daddy and NaiNai are going to handle you, frankly, if you won't stop crying for me). But I'll be back before you know it. I can't always be right by your side but I'll always be here for you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment