Wednesday, September 7, 2022

You're Twelve Years Old!

Dear Connor,

So your twelfth birthday will go down in our family's history as "The Birthday Where We Realized That Connor Is Taller Than Mom." We were all in the dining room tonight after eating dinner and I was getting ready to put candles on your birthday cake when you came up next to me to tell me something. I don't even know what it was because before you could say anything, Lila asked, "Is GuhGaw taller than Mama?" I scoffed but then we stood back-to-back and Daddy confirmed it: You are officially taller than me now! Whaaaaa?!?!?!

Not only are you taller than me but Daddy took you out to buy new shoes for the school year yesterday and you fit into a men's size 10. A MEN'S size 10! Plus, your voice is already starting to sound a little deeper. Whaaaaa?!? All traces of my little boy are disappearing! Are you going to start practicing for your driver's license soon?

Actually, you're not driving yet but this year will mark the first time Daddy and I let you walk home from school by yourself. You started 7th grade today (thanks to the DOE schedule, you almost always have to go back to school on or very near your birthday!) and because you and your siblings all need to be picked up from school at the exact time this year and there's, um, hello, only one of me, you will have to get home on your own. You seem a little nervous about this but also a little excited. Meanwhile, I am a whole lotta nervous and a whole not a lotta excited . . . but you are 12 now and many of your classmates have been walking home by themselves for a couple years. And Daddy and I have been letting you do small independent tasks on your own here and there. When I made cookies for our neighbors, I had you take them next door for me. When we went to a barbeque at a friend's house, the teenagers wanted to go to the nearby Dunkin' Donuts without any adults and we let you go with them. When we were at Kalahari and hanging at the pool when Daddy realized he'd forgotten his water bottle in the hotel room, we sent you up to get it--and the resort is quite large. I guess it's time to finally cut the safety cord--or at least loosen it a little.

Happy 12th birthday, Connor! I love you for always thinking outside the box, for your inquisitive nature and for never being afraid to speak your own mind (even though sometimes you should think before you speak!). I admire your fearlessness, your ability to make friends wherever you are and your amazing drawing skills. Happy birthday and happy start of the new school year!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment