Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Transgender Issues

Dear Connor,

One of the things that I like about you is that you're not a macho boy. You don't shudder at "girl things" because I have taught you that there is no such thing as "girl things." You happily wear pink shirts, like playing with dollhouses and prefer Sophia the First over Ninja Turtles. And you've always been very in touch with your feminine side, which led to this conversation we had on the way to soccer camp this morning:

You: I wish the doctor had told you I was a girl.
Me: Well, you're a boy.
You: Can a boy change into a girl?
Me: Yeah, um, technically, he can. [Coincidentally, the big story in pop culture news right now is that Bruce Jenner of Olympics and Kardashian fame--you can Google him--has come out as a transgender woman.]
You: How does a boy change into a girl?
Me: Uhh, hmm, well . . .

At this point, I changed the subject. We'll come back to this conversation once I figure out how to explain transgender issues to you!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment