Friday, July 5, 2013

Summer Camp

Dear Connor,

As you may recall, you started nursery school last December but you had such bad separation anxiety when we dropped you off that we took you out of the program after just three days. Fast forward to this week when we tried Operation Drop-Off again and took you to summer camp.

Day 1: You were fine when Daddy and I accompanied you to camp in the morning. You were excited to see all of the toys in the classroom and walked right over to a table with puzzles. We said bye, you said bye, we left, no problem. But a little while after we left, I guess it hit you that we had gone and weren't coming back right away. Your teacher said you started screaming that you missed your mommy and wanted your mommy. You told your teacher to open the door and said, "Leave it open! Where's Mommy?!" You put your backpack on and wouldn't take it off. You cried the whole time. Yikes.


When I picked you up four hours later, you were no longer crying but your face was very sad and tear-stained. You walked out of the classroom and said softly to me, "I cry in school. I miss you." And my heart broke into about a million pieces. The rest of the afternoon, you kept saying, "I miss you. You miss me?" Of course, sweetie!

Day 2: Daddy and you were riding the bus to camp and once you crossed Queens Blvd., you realized where you were going and started freaking out. You cried and screamed all the way to camp, when Daddy dropped you off and for a long time after he left. :(

Day 3: You clung onto Daddy's leg when he dropped you off and cried on and off throughout the morning, but stopped long enough to make a few crafts with your class. When I picked you up, you proudly showed me the things that you had made and said, "I made this for you!"

Day 4: You cried when Daddy dropped you off and throughout the morning but for shorter intervals. You were calm by lunchtime and ate two whole slices of pizza.

So there were lots of tears, but you made it through your first week of summer camp! On Wednesday, you told me, "I'm so happy" when I asked you if you like camp, so that is definitely promising. I think/hope it's going to be a fun summer for you!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment