Wednesday, September 7, 2011

You're 1 Year Old!

Dear Connor,

Happy birthday sweetheart! Today is your very first birthday! We just flew back from California yesterday, so you were a little jet-lagged and tired but you perked up for the small celebration we had for you at home. Daddy came home early from work and NaiNai and Aunt Elizabeth came over, too. We helped you blow out the candle on your coconut cupcake (When I was giving birth to you, the hospital TV was airing an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown makes a coconut cake, so now I want to make a coconut cake for you every year on your birthday! And actually, the coconut cupcake we had today was from a bakery called Crumbs. I really wanted to make you a coconut cake myself, but Mommy was jet-lagged and tired, too!) and gave you your first birthday presents! You were a pro at ripping off the wrapping paper--and seemed to prefer the paper to the actual presents!



This past year has been amazing, surprising, tiring, rewarding, inspiring, tiring, fun, fulfilling . . . did I say tiring? Everyone talks about the sleepless nights and constant diaper changes, but no one told me how hard being a parent actually is. I had to sacrifice a lot of things I didn't know I'd have to sacrifice (free time! Mommy never has free time anymore!) and there were many instances when you would cry and I would just cry along with you because I was exhausted, frustrated, worried or all of the above. But as cliche as it is, all of the sacrifices I've made are completely worth it in exchange for you, my beautiful, happy, healthy baby boy. I love you more than anything in this world and am truly blessed to have you in my life. This past year has been the best year of my life and I look forward to many, many, many more with you.

Love,
Mom

1 comment: